Shoulder Reduction - Hippocratic Technique
This Shoulder Reduction – Hippocratic Technique course will teach you:
- To restore the dislocated head of the humerus to the glenoid cavity of the scapula without injuring any vital structures. An anteriorly dislocated shoulder joint is caused by an impact on an abducted, exorotated and extended arm or impact on the posterior part of the humerus.
- To perform this Hippocratic technique with two persons, the patient placed in a supine position and a sheet wrapped around the affected shoulder by placing it in the axilla and placing countertraction on the shoulder during the reduction.
Special attention is paid to the following hazards you may encounter during the Shoulder Reduction – Hippocratic Technique:
- Time for pain management
- Neuropraxia axillary nerve
With the following tips you might perform the Shoulder Reduction – Hippocratic Technique even better:
- Neurovascular examination before manipulation
- Imaging studies
- Shoulder support
- Relax shoulder muscles
- Sheet placement
- Continuous traction
- Physician´s foot
- Reduction signs
- Arm support
- Alternative methods
- Immobilization methods
- Angle of the elbow
- Neurovascular examination
- Imaging studies after reduction
After studying the Shoulder Reduction – Hippocratic Technique course you are familiar with the most common complications:
- Hill – Sachs deformity
- Bankart lesion
- Rotator cuff tears
- Recurrent instability
- Greater tuberosity fractures
- Nerve injury
Step by step
Examine the shoulder. Typical physical signs of an anteriorly dislocated shoulder joint, are a palpable prominent head of the humerus under the clavicle and loss of the deltoid contour with the shoulder appearing flattened.
Examine the neurovascular status of the affected arm before starting the reduction. Most injuries are caused by dislocation of the joint itself but can also be caused by the reduction. Therefore neurovascular examination should be performed before and after the reduction.
Do you want to take the test of "Shoulder Reduction - Hippocratic Technique"?
Try one of our offerings